Onychomycosis can be combated in complex ways with a variety of drugs, of which the use of toenail fungus varnish is important. This antifungal is easy to use, has few contraindications, and can be used at any stage of the disease as long as the fungal infection does not exceed 60% of the nail plate surface. Fungal varnish can be used not only as a single medication, but also in combination with other medications that your doctor prescribes after diagnosis.
Varnish selection features and benefits
Any effective germicidal varnish must meet its declared properties and meet certain requirements for all antifungal drugs. These include:
- Efficiency reflected from the first day of use,
- The ability to negatively affect any kind of fungus,
- Prevent the recurrence of toenail fungal infection lesions,
- with minimal contraindications,
- Eliminate symptoms caused by fungal infections.
Only an expert can choose the most suitable varnish from the fungus of the nail plate on the legs, which contains the desired amount of active ingredients. Independent attempts to choose a drug can lead to the use of drugs with reduced levels of antifungal components, which in turn can lead to infections becoming immune to the drugs used.
Nail fungus varnish is specially formulated to eliminate the signs of onychomycosis as it can be applied directly to the affected area. Topical drugs penetrate directly under the plate through micro-cracks in the nail structure, destroying the mycelium.
Bactericidal varnish has the following advantages:
- The liquid structure of the drug allows it to penetrate quickly under the nail plate,
- There is no need to soften or remove the top layer of the nail before use, just sanitize,
- The action of the drug begins immediately after application, its effectiveness begins from the first day of use,
- The airtight film formed by the varnish on the surface of the nail prevents the further proliferation of fungal infections, preventing it from obtaining oxygen,
- Relieves symptoms of fungal infections, eliminates itching, eliminates redness, reduces signs of inflammatory processes.
If the onychomycosis is superficial and the infected area does not exceed 2/3 of the entire plate, it is recommended to treat toenail fungus with a varnish. This form of the drug is usually used for those patients who have contraindications to tablet therapy.
How to apply
To make nail antifungal drugs as effective as possible, certain rules of use should be followed. You can enhance the effect with proper application and initial preparation of the nail plate.
The rules for the use of germicidal varnishes are as follows:
- The first step is to thoroughly clean the fungus-affected toenails. As a detergent, you can use ordinary laundry soap with disinfecting properties,
- Next, the nail plate should be disinfected with a regular alcohol wipe. Most varnishes from fungi contain cotton swabs soaked in an alcohol solution. Iodine can be used as a substitute for alcohol,
- Dry the nail plate with a cotton cloth and remove any residue of previously used varnish,
- Nails should be cut as short as possible and their surfaces treated with a sterile nail file,
- It should be used according to the directions and the composition should be kept dry for the specified time.
Each nail polish has its own frequency of application of fungal treatments. It is also not recommended to use more than one drug at the same time, as each drug has different ingredients and some degree of antifungal activity.
Overview of modern varnishes
To navigate among the quotes on toenail fungus varnishes offered by modern medicines, you should study the most common ones.
- A varnish based on terbinafine with a bactericidal effect. Nail polishes that treat fungi are particularly effective against mold pathogens, yeast, and dermatophytes. In the early stages of the disease, it is able to cope with the infection on its own. It is used in combination with other means. It is sufficient to use it twice a week as its active ingredients work for several days. The average duration of treatment is about six months or more, and the drug is contraindicated during pregnancy and feeding. Side effects are itching and redness of the skin around the nails. Can be applied over regular colored varnishes to maintain aesthetics during treatment.
- Nail varnishes from fungi with the active substance amorolfine are recommended only when the pathogen affects no more than 60% of the nail plate area. Otherwise, the use will be invalid. Amorolfine fights various types of pathogens and is able to destroy the mycelium of various types of infections, unlike other similar drugs. Another advantage is that it is applied no more than twice a week, and the duration of treatment itself is six months. Contraindications are the same as for similar varnishes.
- Based on ciclopirox. Its makers claim it is a drug that can affect 58 fungal pathogens. As the main component of the drug, ciclopirox was treated for three months according to a certain plan. The main contraindications to use are allergies to the ingredients, pregnancy and lactation, and age groups up to 10 years old. This is the best drug in its class.
- Aventis. The varnish is designed to combat various fungal forms, provided that the diseased stage has not yet entered the purulent stage. It works not only on the nail plate, but also on the soft tissue around the nail. The drug is allowed to be used during pregnancy, but it costs from 1, 700 rubles, so it is not available for all patients,
- Varnish, a low-budget fund, but its effectiveness has been proven. However, it only makes sense to use it at the initial stage, otherwise the cheap varnish will be ineffective. Displayed when layering boards. Colored medical varnishes are produced in various shades to make your treatment process easy,
Almost all varnishes for fungal nail infections can be used with cosmetic varnishes. This makes the treatment process very convenient. The compatibility of the drug with the decorative coating is usually stated in the instructions for use of the topical preparation.
The rating of nail fungus varnishes is constantly updated with various innovative developments in modern pharmaceutical production. Each clear coat incorporates these ingredients with a directional antifungal effect.
The effectiveness of each drug is tested in practice, as there is a wide selection of modern varnishes. These reviews on using nail polish for leg fungus will help you decide on the choice of medication and describe each treatment based on its effectiveness.
- The first comment, a 22-year-old girl: "I used a Cyclopirox based varnish on the advice of my doctor. It cost a lot, but the medication was totally reasonable. I noticed the first change on my nails the next day, The redness is gone and the endless itching has stopped. Fungus, I think we can deal with it in a few weeks.
- Second review, male, 35: "I tried amorolfine varnish in combination with other medications. It's easy to use, although the price bothers me. I don't know what specifically helps, varnish, pills, or anything"In complicated cases, but after three weeks the fungus subsided, the bottle was enough for the entire treatment period and even left. I hope it doesn't come in handy. "
- Third comment, a 36-year-old woman: "I use cheap varnish. Why pay more if there are drugs that are equally effective and affordable? The varnish is worn under the decorative, veryInconvenient, however, it was washed and cleaned frequently. Repainted. But the treatment was successful. "
Varnish for fungal infection of the nail plate of the legs is a convenient drug that can quickly have a devastating effect on the pathogen of the infection. Which toenail fungus varnish is better depends on the stage of the lesion, the type of pathogen and the individual characteristics of the patient.